Sunday, November 15, 2009

1 month in Chile

HOLA!!!


So this past week we had a baptism. Her name is Denise and she is 17. It was rough because she had a smoking problem and she was having issues with that, but what we did to help it was we stuck 2 cigarettes in milk and let them sit for a day and then had her smoke both of them the next day. It is supposed to make you never want to smoke again. And for the most part it worked. So this past Saturday my companion baptized her and I bore my testimony at the end it was really great.

This past Tuesday it was pretty scary because we had a mini combio or exchange. And I went to this other area called tome where the other missionary went to my area and the missionary that I was going to be with had only been out the same time I had. He is from Hayden Lake his name is Elder Cockrell. Anyways it was crazy because neither of us know much Spanish but somehow we were able to teach like 7 lessons, and contact people and kind of understand what was being said. But it was a great learning experience and we really had to listen to people more carefully. It’s really hard to understand people still but its coming kinda I think.

That night we taught this guy named Sessar and his girl friend who live together or as they call it in Chile their partner, but and they have a little boy. But we have been kinda teaching them and we had taught about the first lesson the lesson before but we had not yet gotten to how Joseph smith became a prophet and so we told her about that. I know she felt the spirit. I could feel it and I could see it in here eyes it was great, but she said she didn’t have much faith. She used to believe in God a lot but not much anymore. My comp put it well he said it’s like a muscle, you have it there, you just have to use it. Then I showed her the promise in the Book of Mormon in Mormon. Also how you can come to know if these things are true. Then we committed her to read some scriptures and to pray it was cool.

Last night we found this cool family that we taught and the mom is Catholic and the dad is Evangelical and one of the daughters goes to church with her dad who is like 10, but she liked what we said. The other daughter is 17 or so, but She committed to get baptized this month but we will see what happens. My comp is really good with the scriptures and used the bible a bunch because they wouldn’t allow the book of Mormon. But by the end of the lesson my comp asked for permission to use it just one scripture and it was great. We will see what happens but yeah pretty exciting.

But for me I am hanging in there I am going to attach some pics of the baptism. The weather is getting really nice except for yesterday it was rainy and crappy so we had only 12 people at church. It’s starting to heat up which is kinda bad because we live in a huge tourist town and right on the beach and where I am at all the girls in the summer walk around in bikinis. So I am really not looking forward to that. It will take a lot of will power to stay focused at times but I know that lord will help me have strength but I will be ok. Well I must say I LOVE CHILEAN BREAD it is the BEST EVER end of story. Without bread Chileans would starve. They eat it with every meal. It`s so good though. We have two days out of the week where we have to make lunch for ourselves and I have been making egg sandwiches they are pretty good. But that and breakfast are the only meals we eat during the day. Their dinner they call it once. It`s basically bread and coffee or postum equivalent. I had my first real tea this past week with mint leaves and sugar it was pretty good. If anyone has any questions or anything about Chile just ask. Love you all so much I truly do and miss you all A LOT more than I thought I would haha but take care and your always in my prayers.
Love you all,
Elder Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment