Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This is the whole story of my earthquake experience

So here is basically what happened I woke up first at 330 in the morning and my bed was shaking and the whole house also and my comp was still sleeping and he then I started yelling elder elder elder and we finally woke up and then we we screaming for about 6 seconds. We heard everything falling down in our house and glasses falling.It was one of the scariest feelings ever. Then my comp and I ran under the table and then we waited for it to calm down. And I just grabbed my scriptures in english because they were right there and my wallet and my camera which was in my backpack.All I was wearing was some basketball shorts and my sweatshirt . Then we left and bolted out the door but I did slip on my shoes. It was nuts when we ran out of the house I felt like I was in a movie. I will never forget how I felt. As soon as we left the house we could see so many people yelling and running and just in pure panic. There was a huge truck that had a bunch of people on the back of it and it was so dark. So we started running so fast because we didn't know when the water was going to come because we lived really close to the beach. But we started running for the hills and on the way we found our golden family and we went up the mountains with them and these mountains were so steep that we were climbing up. It was nuts it was such an adrenaline rush. But my stomach was feeling so weird and just all the unknown. So we got in the hills and then we started to make a fire and then one of the members came from higher up and asked us to go back down to the bottom of the hill and go to his house and get some water and some food and clothes for his family and so we did. By the time we got back to the top I was so tired. But when we got back we could see the ocean receding like parting the red sea it was a crazy site to see. We could only see it from the reflection of the moon. But once the moon went down we started to hear crashing noises and we were all kinda unsure of what that was but I was thinking it was the houses and such getting destroyed by the water. And throughout the night there were earthquakes still going on. But as the sun came up reality hit Dichato and things would never be the same and for that matter I think I myself will never be the same. I say this because Dichato was under water. Now My comp and I were pretty calm but just kinda in shock a little. I was feeling so bad for these people because now they have nothing and even before this they really didn't have that much but the summer had just gotten over and they all rent out their houses for the summer to make money but now they cant do that anymore. It´s something that you always see on the news and in movies and you say oh that would suck and you feel bad but when your there first had and you know these people and you love them it´s a different feeling. It´s hard to explain. So after the water went back to the ocean we went down there to look around and see our house but when we got there our house didn't exist the only thing that existed was the foundation of the house. We couldn't even find any parts of our house. It was nuts. I have some crazy sad pics for everybody but I will try and get those next week. So then we got in contact with the elders from the next city over and nothing happened to them or their city really at all so we hitch hiked a ride in a guys truck and met up with them and we slept in the church there for a few nights without water and we had a little food we had in the apartments of the other missionaries. it was kinda cool but kinda creepy at night without power we had gas to cook so that was good. Then we moved all our stuff up to a church where the stake pres was staying and other members so we could get direction from him on what to do. But we got shipments of food in and sorted it and we also received tons of clothes from other parts of Chile to give to people in Dichato. Yesterday we went there and went around to people and asked them what they needed and how we could help them. Also started cleaning out the chapel because it got flooded and was pretty gross yesterday. But tons of inactive people say they want to come to church this sunday and hopefully it will be ready in time to have a meeting. Right now my comp and I are staying with some other missionaries and today we will find out what will happen with us. I really want to stay because there are people ready in Dichato now to listen and accept this true gospel of Jesus Christ.

SO what I have taken away from this whole experience is that God has a plan for us and is always preparing us for something in the future and it gave me a glimpse of what the last days are going to be like and how we always need to be prepared for anything and always have food storage. Also that material items are really not that important and that it´s just stuff and it´s not everything. Because we cant take things with us to heaven. This experience has made me think when we are in front of the judgement bar and you take everything away from us our jobs our houses, cars, families, and you take all that away and then here is the question. Who are we really when you take everything away? I just know that God has his reasons for why he does things and all will work out in the end. I have a testimony of this gospel and I know it´s true with all my heart mind and spirit. I am grateful to be sealed to my parents and I hope there are no empty chairs in the celestial kingdom that is my prayer.
Love
Elder Nichols

Ps. I am doing good and my spirits are high just trying to help people and do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment